Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Share the Love Wednesdays: moxnme

This weeks interview was with Michelle Slivinsky from moxnme!  Her shop features some pretty stunning stained glass.  Why don't you head on over and check it out?




Tell us a little bit about yourself.
My name is Michelle Slivinsky and I am a stained glass artist. I graduated from York University with a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree majoring in Oil painting and sculpture but my current passion is Stained Glass and its endless possibilities. I love the challenge it gives me, it teaches me patience and lets me explore the craft outside of the norm. Most people see stained glass in a church or something that “grandma” created. I want them to see the diversity of this art form and realize there are no rules. I create items using traditional methods in a non-traditional way to bring stained glass into a modern "fun" art form. I still paint but I have a hard time “letting go” and tend to display my paintings in my own home or family members.

How long have you been doing stained glass?
I’ve been creating stained glass for about 8 years now. Once I made my first cut in a piece of glass I was hooked and have never looked back!

What made you first start making stained glass?
I was influenced in the art of stained glass from my mother. I remember being young and watching her create such beautiful works of art. I always dreamed of learning but stained glass needs a lot of room and has a lot of upfront costs. But, once I had the financial means to support the craft I jumped in head first and have never looked back. I also learned that in order for me to improve and perfect my technique, I had to start selling what I was creating.



I love your butterflies! What is your favourite stained glass piece that you've ever done?
I would have to say my favourite piece that I’ve made was for an injured soldier who commissioned me to create a window of his service dog named Samee. I think it was the entire process that made this piece my favourite getting to know this brave soldier and his beloved “sidekick” who saved his life.

Do you have a favourite time of day that you prefer to create?
Unfortunately I am not a morning person and as such it takes me a bit to get motivated but once I enter my studio I lose track of time. Stained Glass is a craft that needs you to be alert there are so many “hazards” like glass, soldering iron, chemicals etc that if you’re not careful you can harm yourself.

What made you first decide to start selling on Etsy?
I started selling on Etsy because I love the feel of the site and the creativity of all the artists and crafters within it. I love how “handmade” was being recognized as something to be proud of and I also loved the ability to participate at such a low cost without any commitment. Stained glass is an expensive art form and as such I don’t have a vast array of pre-made items because most of my projects are custom. 


What was the first piece that you sold? 
The first piece I sold on Etsy was a stained glass screenbug. They are adorable glass bugs that simply slide into your patio or window screen and help stop people or animals from walking through.








Where else can people find you? i.e. facebook, twitter, pinterest etc.
Website: www.moxnme.com
Twitter: twitter.com/moxnme
Facebook: on.fb.me/1lfgz8p

Is there anything else that you want people to know about you or your shop?
I would love to let people know that what you see on Esty is not everything I can do it’s just a taste! I LOVE custom work and I love working with people to create unique one of a kind pieces. The sky’s the limit with glass!




Thank you Michelle for introducing us to the art of stained glass!  

No comments:

Post a Comment